FSCI launched on January 1, 2009. Here is a brief timeline of events from the early years.
- Players unassociated with any local club or voluntarily left other clubs wanted a place to play
- There was no intention to create a new club, players encouraged to look elsewhere
- After many requests, groundwork began to create the new club
- Many people volunteered many hours to get the club off the ground
- Interim name of the club called "The Phoenix Project"
2009: Inaugural Year
- Club officially launches with an email dated January 1 at 11:10am
- Club name declared as Fredericksburg Soccer Club Incorporated.
- VSLI accepts our club as a member for league play by January 4, 2009.
- Club incorporated as a Virginia Non Stock Corporation on February 13, 2009
- Tryouts advertised on our website and newspaper from January 2009 to March 2009.
- Club started with 37 players on 3 travel teams - 2 U12 boys teams and 1 U14 boys team.
- The first practice was held on Sunday February 23, 2009 indoors at St Michaels High School
- 33 new players registered for Fall 2019 travel program tryouts
- Travel program doubles in size to 6 teams for Fall 2009
- Club gains non-profit status from IRS in August 2009
2010: Year 2
- VYSA accepts club as a full member in March 2010.
- ODSL accepts our club as a member for league play in May 2010.
- Club establishes the Recreation Academy program
- 58 new players registered for Fall 2010 travel program tryouts
- Travel program increases to 7 teams for Fall 2010.
- Club establishes the Skills Academy training program
2011: Year 3
- Club offers winter training from January to February 2011
- Tryouts advertised from November 2010 to January 2011
- Travel program increases to 9 teams.
- Club establishes a summer program consisting of camps and clinics.
- 85 new players registered for Fall 2011 travel program tryouts
- Travel program increases to 10 teams for Fall 2011.
2012: Year 4
A Phoenix is a mythical bird that burns itself and rises from its own ashes.
Our club is named after a successful adult travel team called the FC Spotsylvania Phoenix that existed from late 2001 to 2004. The team featured a mix of former college players and professional players. The team won many tournament and league championships.
Two important highlights are advancing to the State Cup semifinals 2 years in a row and winning an indoor game in 2003 against the Northern Virgina Royals USL Division 3 Pro team. The record over 3 years was 79 wins, 23 losses, and 20 draws.
At least 16 players became youth travel or high school soccer coaches.